Star Community... Health Care Collaborative of Rural Missouri and the University of Missouri Extension named Odessa the Star Community Tuesday at the Lafayette County Live Healthy Live Well Day at the Odessa Community Center. The award is based on efforts by the city, parks and schools to make the community healthy. Front, from left, Donna Scherfenberg, SOAR; Kendra Malizzi, middle school assistant principal; Wendy Reynolds, SOAR director; Heather Keele, April Taylor, SOAR; back, Jennifer Millentree, SOAR; Larry Hol, McQuerry Elementary principal; Kristi Bieri, physical education teacher at the Upper Elementary School; Cinda Dowell, Friends of the Parks member; Jon Holmes, city administrator; Lindsey Adams, Parks and Recreation director; Dana Duncan, Friends of the Park member; Cathy Geary, Farmers Market.
Commission hears requests for funds from 2014 budget
Meetings and the Thanksgiving holiday kept the Lafayette County commissioners out of the office for several days during the last two weeks of November, but when there, they were hard at work in preliminary discussion of the 2014 budget.
Commissioners and Cherie Mason, auditor, met for several sessions reviewing the 2013 budget and meeting with officeholders and others to project 2014 revenue and expenses.
Representatives of the Lafayette County Soil and Water Conservation District met with commissioners November 20 to make their annual request for financial assistance.
Kent Corbin and Susie Struchtemeyer reviewed the purpose of the district and its need for financial assistance from the county to cover costs related to office operations such as salaries, mileage and office supplies. The district is requesting $17,375 for 2014.
On November 26 commissioners heard the 2014 budget request from the Lafayette County Extension Council. Representing the council were Bill Oelrichs, committee chair, Randall Dowell, treasurer, Olin Struchtemeyer, member, Kathy Bondy, 4-H youth development specialist, and Whitney Wiegel, agricultural business specialist.
Dowell presented their request of $51,000 to help fund operating costs of $53,348.31 to cover expenses such as personnel, travel, rent, telephone and internet, copier rental, custodial services, office supplies, insurance, utilities and election expenses. This amount represents 13% of the total $398,335 annual budget with the remaining 87% covered by state and federal funds. Read more in The Odessan.
Aldermen to meet Monday night
Odessa Board of Aldermen will meet at 7 p.m. Monday for their only scheduled meeting in December. The December 23 meeting has been canceled.
Aldermen will vote on the second reading of an ordinance which will increase sewer rates on January 15.
When the new rates go into effect residents will pay a base rate of $44.49 per month with $.665 charged for each 100 gallons of water.
The increase is $4.32 on the base rate and 18¢ on the cost per 100 gallons.
Projections estimate a cost of $77.24 for a household using 5000 gallons of water each month.
Aldermen also may see a proposed ordinance on connection fees for sewer and water. Read more in The Odessan.
City Hall to move during renovation
Staff of Odessa City Hall will move during mid-January to the former site of Family Dollar, 124 South Second St., while the present City Hall is undergoing renovation.
Clockwork Architectural firm is expected to complete the renovation in three months.
Jon Holmes, city administrator, said Tuesday afternoon that the former Family Dollar building has been rented for three months from Brenda Oliver, owner. Rental fee is $750 per month. Read more in The Odessan.
County employee killed in equipment accident
Shaun Neal, 36, Corder, an employee of the Lafayette County Road and Bridge Crew, was killed Tuesday afternoon in an accident on Texas Prairie Road, northwest of Odessa.
Accident occurred at 1 p.m.
Neal, who had been employed by the county since June, was assisting in dismantling a crane used in repair of a bridge, when a portion of the equipment fell. Read more in The Odessan.
Bates City P&Z changes meeting
Bates City Planning and Zoning Committee meeting scheduled for Monday night was changed to Wednesday, December 4.
Items on the agenda included a project/permit application from Trimmer Development; Vivian Fox, fence on city park property located behind her mobile home; annexation, pros and cons.
Holiday greetings from Afghanistan
Staff Sgt. Lowell Wann, a 2001 graduate of Odessa High School, sends video greetings to his family from Bagram, Afghanistan.